Time again for good old iPod shuffle to give me another song
for my familiar music.
I'm going to warn you. Probably more than once, that this
next song is explicit. I mean, really, even the title is explicit. Not to say
that it's a song is one with a bad message, actually it's meaning lay in the
opposite direction.
BE WARNED. EXPLICITNESS AHEAD.
Jason Mraz- You Fckn Did It
This guy...is one of my heroes. I've loved his music ever since I've started
listening to it. I love the lyrical
messages in the songs he sings as well as the messages that lay in the songs.
He is probably in the top ten people I would ever want to spend a day with if I
had the chance. I've met him once at a
concert after the show and as I had expected, he's awesome in person. But
enough about that, lets get on with the song.
I've come to see that I can find that the song has four easy
to recognize counts from the bass drum that plays throughout the whole
song. I've also come to see that the
song has a certain rolling cadence to it between the few chorus that play. His
singing style is quite staccato in this song and in a tenor voice. I've always wondered how many breathing exercises
he's had to do through his life to be able to sing in such a fast paced way
while not getting tongue tied or out of breath. I can also now recognize where
there are obvious pauses for him to catch his breath in the song after each
phrase with a cadence. I can actually
anticipate where he's going to take a breath now that I think about it when
he's singing rapidly.
The songs steady beat and moderately quiet acoustic guitar
in the background set up a fast paced, I would guess an moderato or allegretto tempo, but I want to
say it's faster because of the way the pace of the singing plays. It's like it's trying to trick me.
On the whole the song feels as if it's trying to build a person up. As if it's trying to send a message
that the listener, or perhaps receiver of the message, is doing everything
right. The steady beat and continual background guitar give me an impression of
solidity; while the singing is fast and the message direct. It's like the
singer is talking to you as a good friend, supporting you and letting you now
that you're...well...awesome.
Unfamiliar music portion.
Again I went with the whole random music search...but this time I put a
2 at the end.
Sonic The Hedgehog 2- Sky Chase Zone Jazz Remix
I'm pretty pumped that this song was in the mix. It's the
second song in playlist. While I have played sonic the hedgehog games in the
past, I've never heard this song before.
It's so...relaxed and I suppose a good word to describe it would be
'chill.' It's a little more challenging to depict the song, but I find that's
only because there are no lyrics. Not to say that detracts from the song. The
way the slow (adagio perhaps? Maybe andante?) four beat interplays with the mellow
electric guitar, bass guitar, electric keyboard, and drum set makes me want to
lay back and relax.
It's as if I can see
myself on a cruise or watching scenery go by a window while on a train. The music seems to speak to me a journey in
the melodies; but not just a journey. It's like...going back home. The last step on an adventure, I suppose. It
amazes me that through most of the song, so much can be imparted through what
seems like relatively few notes, even though the guitar eventually does wander
off a bit into differences that I can notice. I'll admit...this makes me want
to find other similar jazz pieces and put them in my musical library.
I've never really been a fan of Jason Mraz and this song didn't really convince me either. I do agree that the tempo seems faster paced and I also have feel as though the tempo is trying to be a challenge. (I seem to find this quiet a bit while listening). Jason Mraz is talented and I'm not sure what it is about him I don't like but his music doesn't seem to click for me.
ReplyDeleteAs for your unfamiliar music, I used to love Sonic the Hedgehog and I didn't recognize this piece either. I did enjoy listening to it though! You're doing awesome! Keep it up :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDavid,
ReplyDeleteThe Mraz song, initially, just cracks me up (you weren't kidding about F-bombs!). This song is rhythmically complex and, regardless of the meaning of the lyrics (not to negate them!), is extremely difficult to perform and perform well. Very cool! :)
The Sonic the Hedgehog song is what one might call "smooth jazz," "elevator music," or "muzak." This has a beachy, Caribbean-type sound to it - makes me want a fruity drink with a little umbrella in it! :) Pretty interesting music for a video game!!
~JM